Thanks for your interest in nominating a worthy person or organization for an NEA Human and Civil Rights Award. Here’s what you need to know about the process.
- Accepts nominations without regard to race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin.
- Reserves the right to present no award or to select a nominee other than the person or organization nominated for an award.
- Presents awards to nominees as selected by the NEA Human and Civil Rights Awards Committee and approved by the NEA Executive Committee.
- May be individuals, schools, NEA affiliates, or organizations working in the area of human and civil rights.
- Must be NEA members, if eligible for membership. To facilitate verification, please include membership ID number or last four digits of social security number.
- Must have engaged in human and civil rights activities that have community-wide impact.
- Must not have performed the activities that meet the awards criteria as part of compensated Association staff responsibilities, unless award category indicates differently.
- Must be an NEA member, affiliate, or caucus.
- Must make each nomination for a specific award category.
- Must submit a separate nomination application form for each nominee or nominating award category.
All nomination materials, including supporting documents, must be submitted online at nea.org/hcrawards. Please email NEAHCRAwards@nea.org with questions or if you are experiencing technical difficulties.
Deadline for 2022 Nominations
Nomination applications for the 2022 NEA Human Civil Rights Awards will be available October 12, 2021. Completed submissions must be received electronically on or before December 10, 2021. Nominate and Submit online at www.nea.org/hcrawards.
Have someone in mind to nominate? You can begin preparing your nomination application now. Please visit www.nea.org/hcrawards to gain access to the Nomination Form and HCR Awards brochure which contains all of the information you need to prepare your nomination.
October 12, 2021: Nomination forms available on-line at www.nea.org/hcrawards or email NEAHCRAwards@nea.org for directions.
December 10, 2021: Deadline for submission of nomination forms to NEA Human and Civil Rights.
February 2022: Approval of awardees by the NEA Executive Committee, based on recommendations by the NEA Human and Civil Rights Awards Committee.
March 2022: Notification to award winners and unselected candidates.
April 2022: Announcement of HCR Awards event ticket sales on nea.org/hcrawards. (Tickets usually sell out by the end of May.)
July 2022: Annual NEA Human and Civil Rights Awards prior to the NEA Representative Assembly.